Friday, September 18, 2009

Best Post-Beatles Song by a Former Beatle...



It dawned on me today the the answer to this question was not at all hard for me.

"What is our favorite song by a Beatle in the Post-beatles era?"

That's right, John? Paul? George? Hell, Ringo? Why not.

For me, hands down it's "Got My Mind Set On You" by "Georgie Boy" Harrison as his friends called him.

The song dominates. It automatically makes you want to dance, or at least smile and kind-of wobble your head. Maybe do a Carlton from Fresh Prince if your feeling up to it. The song has a clear message, that is transcendental... if you want a girl it's, "gonna take money, a whole lot of spending money". This is true, just ask George's ex-bandmate Sir Paul. Largest divorce settlement in British history. And lastly, amazing music video:



So, what about my Top 10. No, you say? Tough.

Top 10 Favorite Songs by Beatles in the
Post Beatles Era.


#10. "Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight" - Paul McCartney



This album came out last year, and was released under the artist The Fireman. It came out, at least to me, later that it was Paul. I like this song because it shows that with so many artist taking from The Beatles over the years, that Paul can be inspired by influences he's hearing now. And then/still write and play in that realm.

--

#9. "Wonderful Christmastime" - Paul McCartney / "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" - John Lennon





That's right. A tie. I feel that writing a Christmas song has got to be one of the hardest songs to write. It's the one time throughout the year people are guaranteed to be listening to music. They are wanting something nostalgic, which is why A Christmas Song and Joy to the World is covered so much, so something new is not always invited. Plus, since the music is being played so much that if the song sucks, it's very clear, very fast. But these two have become mainstays of the season, playing again and again without annoying (too much). One is pop-ie, the other cause oriented, but they both are quality songs that brighten my December. November. Part of October, now.

--

#8. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" - Paul McCartney



I like "Butter pie". What can I say?

--

#7 "My Sweet Lord" - George Harrison



You gotta love when an artist can take a fundamentally religious song, and make it a broadly popular and iconic track. You feel love, joy and excitement when you hear the song. And the lyrics are inspirational, yet not overdone.

#6. "Live and Let Die" - Paul McCartney



Arguably the best Bond song of all time. This song has an extreme range and depth. It's a genuine Rock song, yet the strings and the chorus make it a beautiful song to listen to as well. I like to make a gun with my fingers, and duck around corners when listening to it. Sometimes somersaulting.

--

#5. "Say, Say, Say" - Paul McCartney



Paul and Michael. Can't be beat (except by the next 4 songs).

--

#4. "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon



Classic. It's been covered by everybody, but noone quite lands it like John. A rallying cry still today, regardless of your personal issues or endeavor.

--

#3. "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney



Beautiful love song. Heavy Rock. This is a love song for men. Huge range here as well. Paul's vocals are spot on. Not to much screaming, not to much singing. Just right.

--

#2. "Imagine" by John Lennon



Probably most people's number one. I love it. It's sweet, has meaning. Its sad, inspirational and makes anyone who hears it feel empowered to change the world. Perfect song.

--

AND

#1. "Got My Mind Set On You" by George Harrison



Again, perfect combo of salty and sweet. The epitome of a pop song. You here that drum track in the beginning, some synth and Georges voice, and you're done. Two times out of 10, if "Imagine" comes on my iTunes, I'll skip it. I never skip this song, in fact, in all likelihood I'll play it twice.

--

Tell me your list. Comment here or find me on Facebook and Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Number one? even though George Harrison didnt write it?
    Didnt think that would count

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elton John didn't write 'Tiny Dancer', that doesn't negate it as one of HIS best.

    Right?

    But, point well taken. Cover song or not, great tune!

    ReplyDelete