Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Unsanctioned 9/11 World Wildlife Ad


Check out this ad for the WWF, think Gorillas not Macho Man Randy Savage.It has sparked a lot of controversy, and understandably so.

It is well art directed and interestingly concepted. I wish the writing was better. Something which ties to the idea that, "you thought 9/11 was bad ...". I don't feel that using "The Tsunami" as an example, especially art directed the way it is, works. I guess they mean the Tsunami that ravaged Indonesia a few years ago, but I think that it gets lost in translation.

However, what are our thoughts on using September 11, 2001 for marketing purposes? Cause marketing? Is it time?

I think its ok. It's unfortunate this ad has a few too many flaws to be effective. But, I feel with the right tact, the emotional luggage that 9/11 pulls along with it can be an effective tool to help push social issues, or at least give them a benchmark for comparison. An example would be comparing the 1,000s that died on Sept 11 to the 100s of 1000s that have been massacred in Darfur. Something like that.

Just make sure it all makes sense, and works really well. Even a slightly poor idea or execution will not be effective.

I should mention again, as I did in the title, that this ad was and is not sanctioned by the WWF, and if you do find this ad über offensive and want to lash out, please aim your anger somewhere else. Trust me as a designer, it is sooooo easy to get companies actual logos and rip off their style. In this case it was done by a DDB Brazil creative team, and according to this article from AdFreak, that team is, "No longer with the agency."

Let me know what you think? Find me on Facebook or Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment