Tuesday, March 3, 2009

London Calling



Last weekend I went to a club called the Stable Loft over in Benton Park. I typically only wander over there for sandwiches, Blues City Deli has the best in the city, but on Saturday I had my danc'n shoes on. They hosted this months London Calling night, which I had heard about, but never went to until now.

To give you a sense of the spot and the night, I was not cool enough to be there. In fact I only saw 3 or 4 people who actually were. One of which was a 5'7", 75lb black man, with moves like a 20 year old Whitney Houston, like in the "I Want to Dance With Somebody" video. If you need help jogging your memory watch it below.



One of the other worthy patrons was an unlikely stand out. He was dressed like an eighth grader during the grunge era, but his unfaltering dance moves and obvious ecstasy induced trance put him over the top. He spent most of his time shadow dancing with a wall in the corner of the room, but believe me when I tell you that he owned that wall.

A high point in the night was when both of these mavericks of the hipster scene clashed in an awkward but epic dance off. In a classic hipster style they each disinterestedly danced around each other sporting their top moves, but not caring at all about or acknowledging the other person. But both decided to drop to the floor at the same time, as if they had planned it all week. Maybe they had.

Anyway, London calling was worth my night and small cover charge. 2 buck PBRs and Stag make it an affordable option while the music and scene put you quickly in your place, in a good way. It makes you strive to be cooler. Like standing in an elevator with Elishia Wood, your not quite sure why you're not as cool as he is, but you still try your best to not be lame.

The preDJ audio-video experience was enjoyable to say the least. Hipster Indi-music videos are projected onto the walls around the loft, and slightly blown out speakers loudly play, but for some reason the distortion fits. When the Djs came out the night kicked off into a whole new direction. Quality mash-ups and remixes throughout, but the music was familiar enough so that everyone could get into it.

You can check out the DJs sets from different nights by clicking here.

Here's my best move of the night.



On a side note (and I want everyone to weigh in here) I got a $75 ticket that night for parking in a Handicapped Parking space three blocks from the club. I have never and hopefully will never again park in a handicapped parking space. And I am a huge advocate of helping those with special needs lead as impediment free a life as possible, and access to parking is a big part of that. I get it. However, in my opinion, signage needs to be clearly marked if it is going to be inforced, especially in front of a closed business at 11:30 at night.

Exibit A and B:




Now clearly the sign saying handicapped parking is pointing towards the building, or more specifically, down an ally that had parking spaces. So when I did see the sign, lead me to the justifiable conclusion that this closed establishment had handicapped parking down the ally.

The second photo that I saw after I came out of the club shows the second sign that I was supposed to infer meant Handicapped parking from here to the other sign. However it is like 3 feet off the ground.

In my opinion the fact the both of these signs are pointing in random directions, not within conceivable line of sight and just plain confusing to begin with means that I should have a case for an appeal.

Let me know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment