Sunday, October 4, 2009

1980's Schnucks...


I as prowling Ffffound.com tonight and stumbled on something really familiar. Maybe familiar isn't the right word... nostalgic?

Check out this photo of Schnucks, circa 1980.



I wrote the other day about the pool I swam at growing up. Well, the pool was often preceded or followed by a trip with my mom to get groceries. I see this photo and I can smell the store. The bakery, produce and even the cleaning supplies.

Lots of things interesting about this time in history. First of all the style is awesome. That sort of Star Warsian modernism with the strange but constant addition of American Flags and Ferns. Most know how I love my orange, not the fruit, but the color, and this period was not stingy when it came to the swatch.

Something else to note, for all those who wonder why global warming "snuck up" on us or why BPA and the over abundance of plastics in our society is so predominant, take a look at the options for bagging your groceries as of 1980. Paper or.... Paper?

Anyway, thought it was a cool shot or a piece of my history, and probably yours as well. The next time I walk into Culinaria in Downtown STL (the newest in Schnucks design) I am going got take special notice of anything that carried over. I do think their logo is orange. Good call!

Want to see more 80's vintage stuff (ads, products, photos) check out this Flickr page. That's where the original photo came from as well.

3 comments:

  1. jeez if only I had pictures of Schnucks in 1976..when I worked there.

    I discovered that if you took two Schnucks cloth ribbons and folded them just right ..it could read Schnucksucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't forget the wood paneling. head over to schnucks in your wagoneer and you would have had yourself an unbeatable urban-rustic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness...I believe that woman is about to write a check. How old school...

    ReplyDelete