Tuesday, October 6, 2009

ORK City Neighborhood Posters - STL?

I saw these posters and prints on Uncrate today, and thought they were worth a share.



They are from Ork Posters. They're cool. Simple and almost novice typography manipulation, but it really works.

I just wish they had a STL version.

I want St. Louis get back on its game, reintroduce ourselves to the world as a place of popularity with a cool cultural vibe. Personally, I think, and I am one of the biggest critics I know, that STL is an awesome city.

In the last year I have been to Nashville, Chicago, Portland, Rome, Paris, Philly, NYC, Orlando, Kansas City and San Diego. After reflecting on each trip, each city, I look back and say, "That was awesome, but really, honestly, did I do anything different here that I do in St. Louis? Was I more cultured, was the food better, were the women more beautiful, did I have more fun?"

Obviously there were various check marks in the "Yes" category for multiple reasons (The Beach, Gniocci, Subways, Mountains, etc.). But in each place I always felt like, if I got past the touristiness and the shock of seeing things I'm not used to, I would do pretty much the same thing there that I do here. Plus I would miss a lot from STL as well.

Things like relatively cheap housing. Farms. Sold Out Baseball Stadiums where people come early and stay till the game is over. The Hill. Frozen Custard (I know its everywhere, but I have a distinguished palette in this regard). House design and architecture styles (plus basements, storage, brick, backyards, trees, etc). Food. We have great food, again with good quantities, and not so presumptuous an attitude or prices as other cities. What else? Free concerts under the Arch. Seasons. You know, Summer, Winter, Spring and Fall. They smell so nice in St. Louis. Sure they get old, but right when you're pissed off about them they change, and there's that sweet smell that makes you want to lay down wherever you are and stay there the entire day.

Anyway, we just need to communicate to the world what we know and they forgot. That we can compete in the culture war. We can create new things, be thought leaders, make art, win Superbowls and World Series and Stanely Cups, but most importantly, we need to come together as a city and MAKE IT HAPPEN. Maybe we'll get a city neighborhood poster. Or maybe we should be the ones creating posters of our own.

Here are a few more posters from other cities.





2 comments:

  1. let's create one for STL, or Missouri as a whole. it could be a sweet shirt design too.

    let's make monies

    ReplyDelete
  2. they have stl neighborhood posters and more at www.stl-style.com

    ReplyDelete