Monday, June 22, 2009

Mark Ronson and Daniel Merriweather... "Love and War"


Mark Ronson's 2007 album Version has played a pivotal role in defining what I have been listening to for the past two years. It exemplifies exactly what I want out of music. I want it to make me feel. I want it to make me dance. I want it to make me proud that I am listening to it. Version and Ronson harness the soul of Motown, the pop of the late 80's and the attitude of today's elitists creative youth.

While the Midas touch is usually reserved for financial behemoths, I feel the argument can be made that Ronson has helped orchestrate the Second British Invasion with his finger prints all over the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse and Adele. He's also making waves with other acts like American rapper Rhymefest, Brit Rockers The Kaiser Chiefs and his protege Australian Daniel Merriweather... yeah the guy singing in Ronson's biggest hit thus far and Smith's cover "Stop Me". This song is so good... try not to bang your hands on the steering wheel/desk/person in front of you when you hear the beat kick in.


Stop Me (Feat. Daniel Merriweather) - Mark Ronson

If you liked that song, then I have good news for you. Last week Daniel Merriweather released his sophomore album "Love and War" masterfully produced by, you guessed it, Mark Ronson. Though this album is no Version, the style is there, and is the perfect fit for the soulful yet popularly palatable voice of Merriweather. Listen to any of these songs, picture Merriweather in your head, then (if you don't know already) guess what his racial background is... I'll tell you right now I was wrong.

Boy's got soul.

At the same time that this album has all the characteristics of Ronson's go-to sound (tambourine tempos with brass heavy, organ rich Motown/Philly soul) Merriweather really chills out for a few of the tracks, even eluding touches of Ben Harper (Cigarettes) and Prince (For Your Money) at points. These few variations make the album a lot fuller and will help keep singles jumping off this thing until his next album. I love this thing. There's something here for everyone. Change and Red have been tapped as hits, and are quality cuts, but my ears can't stop lusting for Impossible, Chainsaw and Water and a Flame Ft. Adele:


Daniel Merriweather

I don't know if Ronson's golden touch or status as Britain's most Stylish Man (according to GQ) is enough to bless the american radio waves with any of the many hits from Merriweather's "Love and War" any time soon, but really, who cares? Buy it for yourself, and impress your friends with your impeccable taste in music.

Or click here and D/L it for the next two days. But make sure you support the album if you like it, and tell everyone you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment