Thursday, July 15, 2010

Information Design and a Glimpse of the Future

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Map of the future from the Italian Magazine WIRED."][/caption]

I saw this today on Ffffound.com then Behance, and I am really digging it. This map of the future not only lays out a view of the future of information, business and politics, but does it in an extremely beautiful way.

I love this movement to make information interesting. Designing a chart, graph or map has become the most mundane of tasks thanks in part to the wide spread usage of Xcell. And thos charts are really good at relaying information, unfortunately they look like shit and generally ruin any design that you are laying them into. But take a look at this Map, where the information become the design. Its (fairly) clear and beautiful and compels you to read the whole thing. Here are some more looks:

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Developed by Density Design"][/caption]









This style reminds me a lot of that Mark Weaver style, a mid-century throwback with contemporary touches like buffalo heads transposed onto human bodies. Actually maybe that's a throwback too, I'm thinking of Monty Python. Either way, its incredible, complex and fun.

I've been experimenting in that style lately, I'll let you know when I get there.

Here are a few examples of Weaver's amazing stuff. I can't say enough how much I love it.













No comments:

Post a Comment