Monday, February 9, 2009

My Top 10 Rediscovered Songs & Albums of 2008


This time of year “Top 10…of 2008” lists are all the rage. Yahoo and blogs everywhere have made them a staple of their business model, and I gobble them up like that fat kid in Willy Wonka’s factory. Top 10 Crazy Celebrity Meltdowns, Corruption Scandals or, my personal fave, the Top 10 Albums of 2008.

Albums like Fleet Foxes “Fleet Foxes”, Raphael Saadiq “The Way I See It” and Vampire Weekend “Vampire Weekend” are all deservedly making the rounds, and would definitely make my list.

However I am finding the whole thing a bit clichè. It’s been done. So, this year I sat down and took a look back at the Albums and Songs that I RE-discovered this year.

This is what I found:

10. Roy Orbison – “Mystery Girl”

To be honest, I started listening to this album for one reason and one reason only. ‘You Got It’ is quite possibly one of the great songs of my ears’ time. One of 2008’s most talked about albums Girl Talk’s “Feed the Animals” features the song in the track ‘In Step’ and made me take a look at the entire Orbison album. Its deep emotion, full sound and pop accessibility make this a giant track on a great album. Other notable tracks are ‘California Blue’ and ‘The Only One’. A must listen for all, but especially Ryan Adams fans. I think Ryan might be ripping Roy off… or maybe great minds think alike.

9. ABBA - “Gold”

Ok, I get it, greatest hits albums can’t be considered an “Album”. I’ve heard the argument. But I come from a generation that got their music one track at a time. So while I respect the sanctity of the “Album," for my purposes they are allowed. I’ll say it short and sweet. I don’t know what I am more upset about; the fact that I like ABBA, or the fact tat I haven’t been listening to them for my entire life. If ‘Take a Chance on Me’ doesn’t make you dance… check your pulse!

8. Ray LaMontagne – “Trouble”

This album makes me feel. Listen to ‘Trouble’ or ‘Hold You in My Arms’. Both will have meaning for everyone.

7. The Killers – “Sams Town”

This album, and band for that matter, makes me proud of my generation musically. ‘When You Were Young’ and ‘Read My Mind’ have an energy that carry your mind, and lyrics that feed you as you go. A+ album for a band that also put out one of 2008’s Best “Day and Age."

6. Paul Simon – “Graceland”

This one isn’t even fair. It’s on almost everyone's list. But then again, there’s got to be a reason for that. If ‘You Can Cal Me Al’ doesn’t put it on there by itself than ‘Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes’ or the title track ‘Graceland’ guarantee its spot as one of the best albums of all time. I rediscovered it this year after seeing a live performance on PBS with the full African chorus Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Amazing talent from such a little man.

5. Three Dog Night – The Best of Three Dog Night

I know… again with the greatest hits. But this favorite of my parents has now become a favorite among my friends and me. Perfect combination of Soul, Funk and Vocal force… plus I’m a sucker for the Organ. The day after Barack Obama won the election ‘Black and White’ was on my Pandora Internet Radio playlist, it just felt like the right song for the right moment. It forced me to look beyond the classics like ‘One’ and listen to ‘Shambala’ and ‘Never Been To Spain’. Awesome.

4. Bruce Hornsby and Ricky Skaggs – ‘Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby’

Bruce Hornsby made up a good majority of the soundtrack of my childhood. At the same time, I have a love of bluegrass that stems from my family’s Kentucky roots. So for me, when you combine Bruce Hornsby and Ricky Skaggs on one album, you can’t go wrong. The bluegrass version of ‘Mandolin Rain’ is a particular favorite, while ‘Hills of Mexico’ and ‘Come on Out’ represent everything that I respect about bluegrass music.

3. The Hold Steady – “Boys and Girls in America”

This band pairs big sound with comfort of house party. When lead singer Craig Finn sings you feel as though he is speaking directly to you, but you happen to be standing in the middle of 100,000 people. And everyone is partying. I’ll admit I get a “Dude, did you see The Hold Steady at Bonnaroo… Whoa…” vibe from the band in general, but I can handle it because the music is really good. They party.

2. Spoon – “Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga”

Spoon’s sound is somehow unique and familiar at the same time. “Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga” illustrates this perfectly, taking sounds from Grunge Rock to Motown and making them their own. ‘Cherry Bomb’ makes me jump around like a five-year-old that has to use the bathroom.

1. Mark Ronson – “Version”

I heard whispers about this album, and even listened to some of the tracks without giving it due attention. Apparently mine ears were not ready for the perfection that is this album by one of the premiere DJs and Producers of today. ‘Valerie’ featuring the soon-to-be late phenom Amy Winehouse feels as though it was ripped directly from the 60’s, but doesn’t miss a beat as a contemporary pop song. ‘Stop Me’ ft. Daniel Merriweather and ‘Oh My God’ ft. Lilly Allen are also standouts on this masterpiece of an album. Perfect album for a classy party.

Check them out, and take a look back to see what you might have RE-discovered last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment