Tuesday, March 17, 2009

O(+>


Over the last few years, I have had to come too terms with a few things.

One: I am a Democrat. Not a moderate. Not a liberal conservative. Not a "I don't really care about politics." A Democrat. It feels good to say that.

Two: Stephen Spielberg may have lost it. I'll stop at that, but prompt you to just think about it.

Three: I like Prince. A lot. You know Prince. The Artist. Love Sign #2. Prince.

It's true, and I won't deny it or waiver on that.

Some friends might say I'm crazy, others will probably say, "Welcome to the party, you're late."

Here are Top Three Princisms that put me over the top.

1. The song "7"
And almost every other song this man this man has ever touched. Its amazing. Many of his albums have been stamped with the phrase "Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by Prince," and the truth in that makes all the hits and fan favorites that much more amazing. Other big ones for me are Controversy, Starfish and Coffee, and Uh Oh! Let's Go!.

2. He's Prince.
The man is crazy like a fox. Or else he has just maintained himself in such a way that it seem like the only possible reason for his genius. He changes style, band mates, names, album titles on an apparent whim. He'll go from sexually assaulting his audiences ears to only performing only wholesome music and back again. I can only imaging what it was like dealing with him as a record company or distributor. For the first time I have a bit of pity for Warner Bros. Music.

3. Musical Domination
I alluded a bit to it in #1, but the man is a musical tempest. He plays like 100 instruments. Well. Really Well. His influence come out in his music, but it is quickly overshadowed by his own originality and talent.

Watch this video all the way to the end. Prince does a 5 minute guitar solo that makes me wanna cry, and I don't even like the guitar that much.It was taped after George Harrison's death at a tribute concert (Tom Petty, Ringo Starr and others are also featured). Guitar players around the world's jaws dropped at this.



I guess that's what it sounds like when a guitar weeps.

Give Prince a chance, as if you haven't already. Or maybe go back and re-listen to the albums, and see if you don't, in some wierd way, wish you were Prince.

And now Charlie Murphy's take on the man, and his true skills of B-ball and Pancake making.

No comments:

Post a Comment