Sunday, March 29, 2009

Wild Things are coming...



There's been a lot of Buzz about the upcoming Spike Jonze adaptation of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are for a while now, but the trailer has finally emerged and as expected it's awesome.



Incredible!

I'd like to be able to say that this was my favorite book as a child, or how it changed my life, but unfortunately I don't think I've ever read it. If I did, I don't remember the story line. I do know that Sendak is generally accepted to be a genius, the 1963 book is hugely popular even today and that it is only like 50 pages long, so my usual disappointment at what gets cut from a book or story as it transitions to film is a non-issue in this instance.

Maybe we should both go back and take a look at the book before the film comes out.
You can buy it here if you want.

Regardless of my inexperience with the story, I couldn't be more excited for this film. There has been buzz and controversy from the beginning about Wild Things.... If the actor was right play Max, rumors of a mandated reshoot after the studio saw the rough draft, over spending speculation, and even accusations that Jonze was being overly creative in his vision of the film. Well, I for one am a big fan of Over-Creativity, especially for this book, and I'm for pissing off movie studios for that matter.



I'm a huge fan of Spike Jonze. As a director he has an incredible perception of what a shot should look like and he will do whatever it takes to make that vision happen. I don't know the man, but I get the sense that he surrounds himself with the things and people that he finds really interesting, and it carries over to who he works with and the final product of his films and videos. Here's a few videos to help you get a sense where you've seen his work, and maybe didn't even know it was him.

Kanye West - Flashing Lights


Gap Commercial


Beastie Boys - Sabotage


Being John Malkovich


Heaven - Skate Boarding Film


And of course... Fat Boy Slim's - Prasie You (featuring Jonze as his alter ego Richard Koufey a bonafied dancing machine)


The man co-created Jackass, is Charlie Kauffman's go-to guy and has revolutionized the music video and commercial experience. I have a feeling that after the world sees Where the Wild Things Are, he will be more of a household name, and I'm curious what new big price-tag opportunities will come his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment