Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Day Owl Massacre


So, I know my writing fell off over the Holiday, but I promise to get back in the swing of things this week.

To start it off I want to let everyone know about a tragedy that I bore witness to over this holy-day weekend.

We had what could be referred to as a reunion this weekend of sorts of most my best friends. The old high school buddies and budettes convened at our typical watering hole Erato Wine Bar in Edwardsville, IL. We drank, we laughed and there was a lot of man hugging. About 2AM the bar was shutting down, I acted as DD for my buddy Dustin, and we took off to get him home. About 400 yards down Glen Carbon Rd. our headlights illuminated something. Things. But what were they, we swerved and drove by to fast to really see?

After dropping Dustin off we came back by to see what they were. Three dead animals scattered across the road. Raccoons, Opossums, Cats?

Neh!

Three dead Owls were laying there. In the middle of the road.

Aside from a zoo or bird sanctuary, I don't think I have ever seen three owls in one place at the same time. Let alone dead.

It opened up a lot of questions. "How" is the big one, but each answer I could think of lead to a "Why" or "Who" (No pun intended)?

I don't know what happened, and I probably never will. But, it was just impactful to see these majestic and elusive birds in that state.

So in that spirit, I compiled a list of the top 10 songs that an Owl should die to. You know that scene in the movie when the owls are falling in slow motion, these are what should be playing.


Owl Massacre Playlist

R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment