Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Honda Insight


I've been toying around with getting a new car. Mine is on the brink of needing a lot of repairs, I feel. Plus I have lost 70 MPG over the last year. I take MPGs very seriously these days, especially after the gas prices of last summer.

I think I might want the 2010 Honda Insight. What do you think?:





Check out this commerical/project that these people (I think from Vimeo) are doing for the Honda Insight. They are using car headlights to make a LEDstyle movie. It's pretty amazing, though I'm not so sure its very "Green". Regardless, if this cool execution puts 100,000 more Hybrids on the road, then the end will justify the means of wasting gas.


Honda Insight - Let It Shine from Honda on Vimeo.

You can see a making of here:


Honda Insight - The Making of "Let it Shine” from Honda on Vimeo.

I saw these on Google Reader, which pulled it from Gizmodo.

Google Reader is worth checking out if you haven't done so. It is a blog and friend aggregator. Keeping not only your favorite blogs and news sites updated in one centralized location, but also letting your friends see what your reading and you what they're reading. It aids in video, article and music sharing. Plus, the site offers recommendations as to other sites and blogs that you might be interested in due to the blogs that you are following or writing.

Pretty cool.

Let me know if I should get this car, or if you think I should get something else. Smart BRABUS, anyone?

3 comments:

  1. I may be alone here, but the above cars are still too futuristic looking for me. I think maybe by 2015, I will have been acclimated to the whole 'green car' look. You know the one. Where it's cool to have as ugly a car possible, because we shouldn't be about looks these days, but more about the environment.

    For now, anyone driving one of these cars automatically carries a vibe and a reputation wherever they drive. It's just standard. You get out of the car at the mall, people will look at you and think, "oh, he's one of those." unfair? yes. but reality nonetheless.

    It's just too soon to go this route. The trend is just on the cusp of mainstream, and dipping your toe in the water now could be disastrous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how futuristically designed this car is. I know they took cues from the FCX Clarity, Honda's completely Hydrogen powered car (http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/). And I know that that car is about as futuristic as they come in the way of technology.

    However I don't feel like this body style is too far of leap from where we are. It's not like their trying to push the Nissan Cube as the next bench mark in automobile manufacturing. Is this too far from the current Civic, or even a Neon, Cavalier or CRX from years ago.

    In fact, I feel it might be more function than form anyway. The back has that raised trunk area so to fit the fuel cell battery and still allow for standard trunk space. The car is built to be light and aerodynamic which is why you get the sleek curve to the bumper, with few extruding elements. And if you look at the color options that Honda has available, we're not looking at a crazy Easter Egg template here. White, Black, Grey, Red, and Blue. No Greens, Fuchsia, Sunshine Yellow, etc.

    And when you look to the future of car design, and things looking outlandish, think back to the movie RoboCop. The Ford Tauruses used as the squad cars in those movies were so futuristic at the time that I still remember it today being awesome. The Ford Taurus?

    Don't believe me, just check out the cars on the side of the road vs. this fleet of high tech, domination machines.
    http://www.taurusclub.com/encyclopedia/Specials/RoboCop23/ROBOCOP3-9.jpg

    Style will catch up, I think it already has in this case.

    ReplyDelete